Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fighting Cancer

I've been playing around with social media tools for a while now and have developed a keen interest in how new tech tools can bring more people together than ever before. I am also fascinated with ideas such as "crowd sourcing" led by people like Jeff Jarvis in his book, What Would Google Do?

The ability to create opportunities to bring the "power of the crowd" together for a common cause led me to create a collaborative book in education, along with a Twitter feed called @LetsBuyTheSkins to see how we can positively influence ownership of my beloved Washington Redskins.

Now, my next venture. I want to try and use the power of the crowd for a good cause, Fighting Cancer. I don't know of anyone who hasn't been affected by someone who has or is battling cancer. With this in mind, we are creating opportunities for sponsors to donate $1 dollar for each new follower that the @AbolishCancer feed on Twitter gets on that particular day.

At the end of the day, we ask the sponsor to donate the amount (based on how many new followers were added) of money to the American Cancer Society. In return, we will tweet about the sponsor to our followers (which will surely grow) and provide a bit of information about who they are on this blog.

So, what are you waiting for? Spread the word and help find a cure for cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment