Saturday, June 19, 2010

Everyone Helping to FIght the Fight

On Friday we were fortunate to have @Daynastunts from New Zealand, sponsor our site. All proceeds for this particular sponsorship went to an 8 yr old girl named Ellie who is fighting rhabdomyosarcoma cancer (@LiftUpEllie) At day's end, Dayna helped us get 1,250 new followers which meant $1,250 for Ellie.

Our goal is to get a daily sponsor of our site and to support various cancer fighting charities & groups all over the world. While we hope for large daily sponsors like the ones from @delprado and @Daynastunts, this can be daunting to the individual who wants to make a difference but doesn't have thousands of dollars to contribute.

Today proves that anyone can make a difference in the battle vs cancer. Christie Sledge @csledge89 on Twitter, agrees to donate $1 for the next 250 followers of @abolishcancer with the $250 in proceeds going towards @Livestrong. Here's a little background about our sponsor, as described by Christie.


"I'm a born and raised Texas. I'm 20, turning 21 in October. I'll be a junior at the University of Texas at the Permian Basin this upcoming fall, studying biology and health/sports psychology. I've not always been involved in the fight against cancer. My grandfather died when my dad was 11 from advanced colon cancer that had taken over his whole body, but that didn't affect me much because I didn't know him. I have been very fortunate not to know anyone in my immediate family and friends who has had cancer or who have cancer at this time. I did, however, have a cancer scare when I was 15 and my gynecologist feared that I had ovarian cancer. Luckily, it was just a scare and turned out to be something completely different. I didn't really have a goal in life until I saw Eric Shanteau. What I saw was a man not that much older than myself (only 6 years) facing his own mortality and being faced with difficult decisions. They were decisions I never want to see anyone have make; What is more important: dreams and goals, or a surgery date? I took up the cause of male cancers, even though I am female. People ask me why. The reality is, I don't know why. Shanteau changed my life so drastically that I felt like I owed it to him to try to eradicate the disease that had tried to eradicate him. I'm also very close to my older brother, who is 5 years older than me, and many of my best friends are male. I couldn't imagine them coming face to face with cancer. Male cancers seem to have no voice (mainly because of male pride), so I took it upon myself to be the voice for them. "

Christie's passion to abolishcancer is evident in her description and her sponsorship of our site and proves that the power of one person can make a difference. Thanks Christie for helping to "fight the fight".

"Power of the People, through Twitter, to @abolishcancer"

-Darah

Bonham.darah@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Various cancer charities.... Which cancer charities do you support? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete